Monday, October 17, 2022

Practice Productions (Continuity and Genre)

PRELIMINARY TASK: Continuity Edit

In this post I will discuss and evaluate my first shooting task. 

TASK 
Our task requirements were:
- 2 characters
- a filming outside of and including a door
- engaging in a conversation including a shot-reverse-shot sequence and respecting the 180 degree rule
- film over 20 shots
- use of narrative enigma within the story

PLANNING
We created a basic shot list sheet as a rough guide, and a script. We created two characters of a director and actor as the Proppian hero and villain, but wanted to blur their roles. 

Equipment wise we used:
- monopod and tripod
- dolly tripod extension
- SONY A58 DSLR camera
- 2 lenses
- focus and zoom rings

We based our opening sequence on Hitchcock's "hand of god" technique seen in Psycho (1960). This helped us create a solid base for the opening as well as experiment with the equipment. 

THE SHOOT
As a group, we all took turns shooting and directing as well as having equal input into the shots and planning. I spent time using the camera specifically in the dolly shot and window zoom, and acted in the ending scene. 

THE EDITED FILM
We downloaded the clips off the SD cards, and then each separately edited, I used FCPX and chose to not use sound apart from the dialogue to focus on the continuity and footage. 

Here is the final continuity edit: 



REFLECTION
In this video I discuss my overall evaluation of the process and result, as well as what I would do to improve and what I have learnt through the shoot. 


PRELIMINARY TASK: Genre Edit

For the genre edit, I chose Horror as I found it was the easiest to adapt the footage for. I used the opening music of Psycho (1960) and a black and white filter for intertextuality and to cement the Hand of God technique. I also added diegetic sounds such as footsteps and the tripod thud to create more suspense. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello! My name is Laura and this is my blog tracking my AS Media Coursework from 2022-2023.  I specifically researched film openings and the...