Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Butler: Gender Performativity

 Judith Butler 

(b. 1956-)

Judith Butler is an American philosopher and gender studies writer. 


What is Gender Performativity? 

Gender performativity is a queer theory stemming from Butler's 1990 book "Gender Trouble". She describes the theory as gender proves to be performance— that is, constituting the identity it is purported to be. In this sense, gender is always a doing, though not a doing by a subject who might be said to pre-exist the deed”
Her theory states that hegemonic representations of gender are learnt, and performed, rather than being something that exists naturally. 


Possible influences for my film: 

In my opening, I am representing the slasher character archetypes which are all hegemonic representations and stereotypes of gender. Blurring of roles such as the killer which is typically male, and one of the scream queens

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello! My name is Laura and this is my blog tracking my AS Media Coursework from 2022-2023.  I specifically researched film openings and the...