Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Levi-Strauss: Binary Opposition

Claude Levi-Strauss

(b. 1908- d. 2009)

Claude Levi-Strauss was a French anthropologist. 


What is Binary Opposition? 

Binary opposites are "a pair of related concepts which are opposite in meaning". (media-studies.com) They are opposing forces within a media text that move the narrative along, such as good and evil, male and female, black and white, etc...
Levi-Strauss stated that they were the "basic structure of all human cultures", and that binary opposites are needed in "human signifying structures"


Possible influences for my film: 

The binary opposition between the final girl and the scream queen, the binary opposition of a heterosexual couple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello! My name is Laura and this is my blog tracking my AS Media Coursework from 2022-2023.  I specifically researched film openings and the...