Wednesday, February 15, 2023

SLASHER GENRE: Sound

Sound is an extremely important element of the slasher genre. This not only sets the tone for the film, but also serves to illustrate scenes graphically without having to visibly portray the acts and gain a higher age certification, that can damage the film's success. 

An example of this is the film The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), that was banned in many territories due to its violence, despite the violence mostly being portrayed through effective use of sounds. 

Below I have attached videos that I believe to be good examples of sound in the slasher genre, as well as some I am taking inspiration for in my film opening. 

Psycho (1960) shower scene: 

The score here creates tension, and is a recognisable theme. The use of slashing and stabbing sounds of the knife creates the effect without having to be visually and violently represented. 


Scream (1996) titles: 

The layered sounds (screams, slashing, banging) created in the titles denote the slasher genre, and I am taking inspiration for my film opening main title.


Halloween (1978) opening sequence: 

Carpenter's recognisable score and theme uses long drawn out and repetitive synth notes to create tension, which I am recreating in my film opening. 


Friday the 13th (1980) theme: 

Similarly to Halloween, Friday the 13th's theme creates tension with the high pitched and fast paced notes, accompanied by sounds of slashing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello! My name is Laura and this is my blog tracking my AS Media Coursework from 2022-2023.  I specifically researched film openings and the...