Thursday, January 19, 2023

Baudrillard: Simulacrum

Jean Baudrillard 

(b. 1929 - d. 2007)

Jean Baudrillard was a French philosopher and cultural theorist. 

What is Simulacrum?:

According to his 1981 book "Simulacres et Simulation", Baudrillard defines simulacrum as:
"The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth—it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true."

In the book, he examines:
 "the relationships between reality, symbols, and society, in particular the significations and symbolism of culture and media involved in constructing an understanding of shared existence." (Wikipedia) 
According to Baudrillard, symbols and signs have replaced meaning in society, and that the human experience is a simulation. 
Simulacra refers to "copies that depict things that either had no original, or that no longer have an original", while simulation is the "imitation of the operation of a real-world process or system over time."


Possible influences for my film: 

The conventions of slasher could be seen as simulacra, my evaluation question responses are a simulacrum of previously established codes and signifiers


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello! My name is Laura and this is my blog tracking my AS Media Coursework from 2022-2023.  I specifically researched film openings and the...