Friday, November 18, 2022

Agency

What is Agency?: 

Camille Paglia, a feminist academic writer, rejected the theory of the male gaze, by prioritising the post-feminist theory of agency. She says "I've been very vocal about my opposition to the simplistic theory of the male gaze... (it is) the victim model of feminism applied to the works of culture."

Agency is a post-feminist film theory that describes: "the capacity of women to take purposeful action and pursue goals with their own free will". While a feminist theory such as Mulvey's male gaze suggests women are subjected to their actions by male pleasure and objectification, the agency theory argues that women make conscious choices and have authority separate from male objectification. 

Possible influences for my film:

The archetype of the scream queen is present, and while it is conventionally a sexualised role, the girls in the film consciously choose to act and dress in the way they do (short skirts, heavy makeup) for themselves rather than due to male objectification. Laurie also shows agency as she adapts the "uniform" of her clique with fishnets, boots, and a black long-sleeved jumper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello! My name is Laura and this is my blog tracking my AS Media Coursework from 2022-2023.  I specifically researched film openings and the...