Sunday, March 26, 2023

EVALUATION Q1a: How Does Your Product Use Or Challenge Conventions?

EVALUATION Q1a: How Does Your Product Use Or Challenge Conventions?

To summarise this question in a creative way, I decided to replicate Vogue's Beauty Secrets series. Instead of naming the makeup product, I used it to represent the various elements and conventions




Here is my general film opening conventions vodcast from my earlier on in my blog:


Here is my slasher genre conventions vodcast from my earlier on in my blog:


The general genre films I have looked at are: 

The slasher genre films I have looked at are: 

Below is a summary of the points I have discussed in my video, as well as an illustration of these convention applications in my opening:

EVAL Q1A ILLUSTRATED by Laura Fagan on Scribd


Narrative:
The following theories I analysed can be applied: Barthes' narrative enigma, Todorov's 5-Part Narrative, Katz and Blumler's Uses and Gratifications theory

Narrative Enigma: 
My post is linked here
Narrative Enigma is defined as the intentional withholding of exposition in order to create mystery and suspense. This is seen in my opening as there are establishing shots revealing the town but exposition is still withheld. As we meet Marion and Norman, they reveal exposition through dialogue, and narrative enigma on who the killer is remains through the opening. In the locker scene, exposition is also revealed through dialogue. The costumes reveal the archetype and personalities of the characters

Todorov's 5-Part Narrative:
The structure followed by all narratives, my post is linked here.
In my opening:
Equilibrium- Setting the scene through the hand of god and street scene
Disruption- Snapping twigs, a disruptive element
Recognition- Marion realising there is a noise and someone could be watching them
Attempt to resolve- Marion sends Norman to check, Marion calling Norman to find him
New equilibrium- The girls in school realising Marion is missing

Uses and Gratifications Theory:
My post on the theory is linked here

Escapism:
An audience world escape into my film because it's fictional (non-realistic) so people can watch this for pleasure. Horror is also a cathartic entertainment form as people view it in order to alleviate fears they have and feel control over them.

Personal Identity
The target audience (teenagers male and female) can identify with the characters in this film such as the final girl and the scream queens/jock. They are relatable as a teenager by wearing make up, doing teenage activities, being a school student etc...This would also be relatable to an older audience, as they once were school students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To My Blog!

Hello! My name is Laura and this is my blog tracking my AS Media Coursework from 2022-2023.  I specifically researched film openings and the...